Below is a step by step process for current Graduate School students. All required paperwork, information and important deadlines can be found here.

Graduate School Life Cycle

Prepare to Come to Campus ✓

  • Housing Options: Explore housing options for residence hall living or apartment housing living. Housing options are limited. Apply early! 
  • Parking Pass: Buy a parking pass

Meet with your Advisor ✓

  • Discuss/finalize classes to take your first semester
  • Understand what keys are needed

Check Upcoming Degree Requirements ✓

  • Register for Classes
  • Finalize your paperwork for Graduate Teaching or Research Assistantships.
  • Orientation: An orientation for new on-campus students is held the first week of classes. This is a chance to get to know other students and build your network.
  • Required Training and Certifications (Mandatory): You will be added to an on-line Moodle Course for required training.
  • The Graduate Student Handbook: Our handbook clarifies our expectations for our students, and what they can expect from us.
  • Graduation Deadlines: Deadlines for graduation and graduate product defense deadlines can be found here.
  • Utilize our webpage for all graduate school paperwork and information.

General Campus Info ✓

Stay Connected ✓

Click to view our Instagram page Click to view our Facebook page Click here to view our LinkedIn page

Thesis Degree Programs ✓

Graduate Program Form

The Graduate Program Form is intended to help you chart the course toward your degree, and serve as a memorandum of understanding between you and your advisor. It is recommended that you begin working on this form your first semester and finalize it your second semester or ~15 credit hrs. Check minimum requirements for your degree in the Graduate School Catalog, and be sure to look up the specific requirements of your program.

Submit this form the semester prior to your intended graduation to the Graduate school via

Graduate Committee Appointment Form

Most graduate products require a committee to review your work and serve as a mentor for you in completing this work, you will need to complete a Graduate Committee Appointment Form. Please see the Graduate Student Handbook for more information on the composition of committee members required when completing this form.

Submit this form the semester prior to your intended graduation to the Graduate school via

Writing Seminar

A program educational objective of the Graduate School is communication, both in oral and written form. For the latter, many degrees require completion of a one-credit hour writing seminar (see your specific program entry in the Graduate School Catalog to determine whether this is a requirement for you). TC5160 is available for students wishing to fulfill this requirement, or more generally, looking to improve their technical writing.  TC5160 is currently offered as a concentrated 'bootcamp', over the course of 4 days, where students receive guidance on technical writing, formulate a writing timeline, and work within the bootcamp to complete sections of the thesis, allowing for both peer and instructor review of writing samples. It is generally recommended that students plan to take TC5160 before they have started writing their thesis. See your program entry in the Graduate School Catalog for additional technical seminar requirements for your degree. 

Non-Thesis Degree Programs 

Master of Program Engineering and Management (MPEM):

MPEM Graduate Committee: The Chair should be the Program Director but may, at the student’s discretion, be selected from the faculty instructing MPEM courses. At least three members are required. The student is responsible for asking committee members to serve.

At the beginning of the final semester, the student is responsible for contacting the committee members and asking for exam questions. Answers then need to be sent to the committee for review. The department head will compile the responses and provide feedback to the student. The student will schedule a convenient date to meet with the committee on Montana Tech’s campus where the student will give a 40-45 minute capstone presentation. The student should schedule the presentation; contact the department administrative assistant for assistance with room scheduling. The presentation should be scheduled only after the completion of 21 credits.

The format for the Power Point (preferred) presentation is as follows:

  • Give your bio-profile.
  • Discuss your reasons for being in the program and how you have benefited.
  • Summarize the answers for the exam questions.
  • Give comments and input regarding ways to improve the MPEM program.

DUE: After the completion of 21 credits.

Masters Industrial Hygiene Distance Learning/Professional Track (MIHP):

MIHP Graduate Committee: The Graduate Committee is established during the semester that a student is enrolled in the IH 5986 capstone course. The Chair is the faculty member teaching the course, and an additional faculty member is assigned by the Chair. At least two members are required. The MIHP Signature Sheet is used to document the outcome of the written and oral exam for IH 5986. DUE: By the end of the completion of 20 online course credits.

Masters of Engineering:

Candidates must complete a 1-credit hour final examination by registering for ENGR 500. This examination, and a passing grade in this course, constitutes your final product. 


You may transfer a limited number of pre-approved classes. The following form will need to be returned to the graduate school via 

Master of Science (MS) ✓

It is recommended that you meet with your committee at least once per year. The committee is in place to provide you mentoring and resources towards your degree. Please see the Graduate Student Handbook for more information on your committee composition.

Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) ✓

The PhD degree is a research degree consisting of both classroom instruction at an advanced level and execution and completion of a research project, i.e. dissertation. To track the progress and receive academic credit for the latter, you should register for research credits during your PhD. Prior to the candidacy examination, register for pre-exam dissertation credits; after, register for dissertation credits. Dissertation credits can typically be used to fulfill credit hour requirements necessary to maintain full time student status and be eligible for assistantships.

Typically, you should finalize your PhD advisor and thesis topic as soon as possible. The thesis topic should be an intersection of your interests, your advisor’s interests, and (if applicable) availability of funding to complete your project. You are also encouraged to form your research committee as soon as possible, as they provide additional resources and additional expertise and tools with which you can complete your dissertation. You should begin working on your research as soon as possible, meet regularly with your advisor, and periodically with your committee.

Check the course requirements for your specific degree. More information can be found in program-specific handbooks below:

Qualifying Examination (QE) ✓

Material Science (PhD):

The Qualifying examination is typically taken August after the first year of your PhD Program. The Qualifying Examination in Materials Science is a proctored written examination at a predetermined date, taken in partnership with our ‘sister site’ at Montana State University. Check with the program director and/or program staff for the schedule of the examination. Please refer to the handbook for additional details on scores required to pass the examination, conditionally pass the examination, and information on criteria by which a retake of the exam is required. In general, passing the qualifying examination requires class attendance and good study habits related to course material. Follow up with the instructor on points of uncertainty during the semester in which you are enrolled in the class; approaching a professor a couple of weeks before the QE to provide clarification as to “what I did wrong on problem 3 of the mid-term examination” or for a compendium of problems and solutions is not a productive study strategy. Also, forming a study group that meets regularly throughout the summer seems to benefit most students. Additional study tips for the QE, combined with format of the examination change periodically, and can be found here.

Earth Science & Engineering (Ph.D.):

The Qualifying examination is typically taken at the end of the 4th semester of your PhD Program. The Qualifying Examination in ESE is an independent research proposal unrelated to the dissertation research with an oral defense. The Qualifying Exam tests the student’s ability to be an independent thinker and scholar, as well as demonstrate knowledge breadth and depth in earth science and engineering. The student will write an independent research proposal unrelated to their dissertation research topic and present and defend it to their dissertation committee. During the oral defense, the student will be questioned on their proposal as well as breadth of knowledge in earth science and engineering.

To prepare and complete the ESE qualifying examination, the recommended steps are as follows:

  • Confirm that your independent proposal topic is different from your dissertation research with your committee.
  • Prepare a research proposal and submit to your committee.
  • Present your proposal to your committee.
  • Your committee asks you questions about your proposal.
  • The committee asks you questions about your Earth Science and Engineering knowledge based on the classes that you have taken.

Candidacy Examinations ✓

Material Science PhD & Earth Science & Engineering Ph.D.:

After the qualifying examination, the next formal examination in is either the comprehensive (ESE) or candidacy (MatSci) examination.  Although these have different names for the different programs, they are of similar structure with the same goal. The purpose of this examination is three-fold.  First, the examination demonstrates that the student can conceive, plan, and design an original and creative research project on a topic important to advancing understanding in the field. Second, the examination demonstrates the student can communicate effectively both orally and in writing.  Lastly, the examination serves as a means by which to lay a specific plan on what is needed to finalize your thesis, present a timeline for meeting these goals, and get committee feedback and approval on this plan.  

The MatSci Candidacy Examination is typically taken before the start of a student’s third year. The examination typically consists of both: (1) a written proposal describing the student’s intended dissertation research; and (2) an oral defense of the proposal to the student’s doctoral committee. The defense will include an open seminar followed by a closed interview/examination by the Committee that can cover a broad range of topics related to the proposed dissertation research.  Check with your advisor and/or program chair for best practices in your degree program on length of both the written and oral portions of the examination.  You are encouraged to schedule a pre-meeting with your committee to briefly discuss the proposal, and provide your committee members sufficient time (e.g. >1 week) to review the written proposal prior to the oral defense.

After you have passed your candidacy/comprehensive examination, you become a PhD candidate. You may register for research dissertation credits to fulfill credit hour requirements necessary to maintain full time student status and be eligible for assistantships.  Continue to meet regularly with your advisor and periodically with your committee.  Once you have complete the work and benchmarks that were agreed upon in your candidacy/comprehensive examination, and your advisor agrees, work to write your dissertation and schedule your defense.

Required paperwork:

You will need to complete and send the following forms to the graduate school via to demonstrate you have successfully completed the candidacy/comprehensive examination:

The following needs to be submitted the semester BEFORE you intend to graduate ✓

Degree Applications:

Required Graduation Paperwork:

In order to participate in the Commencement Ceremony, you must:

  • Submit your degree application the semester BEFORE you intend to graduate. 
  • Be on schedule to complete your coursework, as approved in your Graduate Program Form.
  • Successfully defend your thesis, dissertation or publishable paper, according to the thesis deadlines or successfully complete your program's specific requirements.

When you are on track to complete the above tasks, please submit a degree application. The degree application is to alert the staff that you plan to graduate, so that they may perform a preliminary check that you are on track to graduate. 

Commencement Ceremony information is available here.

The following steps will ensure that graduate students successfully finish all graduate product requirements for graduation within all required Thesis Deadlines.

Step 1: Write the thesis/publishable paper/dissertation and/or prepare the product 

All graduate students are required to have a graduate product (thesis, dissertation, publishable paper, or product). These all must be submitted, copied, bound, processed, approved, and published by the Graduate School. Completion and publication of the product is typically completed the semester you intend to graduate, with deadlines outlined in the Thesis Deadlines. All thesis/publishable paper/dissertation must use the templates provided, with no exceptions. Utilize the entire template in its exact format (contents, images, tables, etc. should be linked and other fortmatting should be correct). Publishable papers should be imported into the template. The sections in the paper (per the journal’s ‘Guideline for Authors’) should correspond to sections on the template. The student may add a footnote to the Introductory section stating where the paper will be (or was) submitted, and also include this information in the acknowledgements.

Thesis-based degree templates:

Masters of Science Option A: Thesis or Publishable Paper
  • Dissertation Template - ESE students should substitute “Earth Science & Engineering” for “Materials Science” on the title page.

Non-Thesis based degrees:

Masters of Science Option B: Product:

No required template for non-thesis products. Successful completing of degree requirments and this product constitutes your final product. 

Master of Project Engineering and Management Degree:

Students must complete a final presentation. The format for the Power Point (preferred) presentation is as follows:

  • Give your bio-profile.
  • Discuss your reasons for being in the program and how you have benefited.
  • Summarize the answers for the exam questions.
  • Give comments and input regarding ways to improve the MPEM program.

The presentation should be scheduled only after the completion of 21 credits. Three committee members should be selected to review the presentation, and the list of members should be received by the Graduate office at least one month prior to the final examination via the Graduate Committee Appointment FormDUE: After the completion of 21 credits. Successful completing of degree requirments and completion of the final presentation constitutes your final product. 

Masters Industrial Hygiene Distance/Professional Track Degree:

Students will be examined by a committee at the completion of the course requirements. The Chair should be the Program Director but may, at the student’s discretion, be selected from the faculty instructing industrial hygiene courses. At least three members are required. The student is responsible for asking committee members to serve and attaching verification to their degree application that the committee has agreed to serve. Successful completion of degree requirements and successfully completing of this examination constitutes your final product. 

Master of Engineering Degree:

Candidates must complete a 1-credit hour final examination by registering for ENGR 500. Successful completion of degree requirements, this examination, and a passing grade in this course, constitutes your final product. 

Format Pre-check:

Thesis/publishable paper students are encouraged to do a format pre-check of the thesis/publishable paper/dissertation. This will ensure students are on track to meet required Thesis Deadlines and ensure the final format check runs smoothly. For the format pre-check, please send a word document of your thesis/publishable paper/ dissertation to; it does not need to be in final form. Please note in your correspondence whether you are submitting for format pre-check or upload.

Master of Science: Option A - Thesis or Publishable Paper and Ph.D Dissertation:

To ensure consist publication in the library and other electronic resources, all are thesis/publishable paper/ dissertations are checked for formatting issues.  Use the appropriate template provided in step 1 for a successful format check. It is recommended (not required) to submit for format check a week prior to the final Thesis Deadlines to provide staff sufficient time to complete the review. In your correspondence, note you are submitting for pre-check and not final submission.

Master of Science: Option B - Product:

No format check or template is required.

Master of Project Engineering and Management Degree:

No format check required.

Step 2: Defend the graduate product 

Schedule the defense:

Defenses need to be scheduled within the Thesis DeadlinesStudents are encouraged hold defenses as early as possible. The student is responsible for finding a time where all committee members are able to attend.  Keep in mind that faculty members have many responsibilities and obligations, especially during the period approaching the end of any term and/or in the summer term. Faculty members have no obligation to accommodate students who fail to meet Thesis Deadlines, and thus, the student should schedule the defense well in advance and give the committee members sufficient time to read material in advance.

Defense extensions will be granted only in exceptional circumstances. If you cannot meet the defense deadline as outlined in the Thesis Deadlines the following form needs to be submitted to the graduate school via 

Announce the defense:

The following information needs to be forwarded to the graduate school two weeks prior to the defense:

  • Student Name
  • Degree Program
  • Academic Advisor
  • Title of Defense
  • Defense Date, Time and Location
  • Abstract

Defend the product:

Signature sheets, as well as graduate product rubrics will be used by the graduate school as documentation that you have successfully completed your defense. Graduate product rubrics need to be provided to committee members before the defense and need to be completed during the defense. Rubrics need to be collected by the committee chair at the end of the defense and immediately sent to the graduate school.

The following forms are used to demonstrate the successful completion of the defense:

Masters of Science Option A: Thesis or Publishable Paper

Ph.D (all programs)
Master of Project Engineering and Management Degree:
Masters Industrial Hygiene Distance/Professional Track Degree:

Step 3: Finalize and publish the Thesis/Publishable Paper/Dissertation/Product /Presentation 

Finalize the product:

All changes required by the student's committee need to be made before final submission and within the Thesis Deadlines.

Publish the product: 

Publication of the graduate product will only occur once all graduation requirements are met.

Master of Science: Option A - Thesis or Publishable Paper and Ph.D Dissertation:

Thesis/Publishable papers and dissertations will be published in the Montana Tech's Digital Commons and ProQuest. Submit final thesis/publishable paper/dissertation in PDF form to for upload.

If there is a need for a publication delay (e.g. publication embargo by sponsor, submission of provisional patent, etc.) you will need to complete the Graduate Product Publication Delay Form. A publication delay will not delay your graduation, provided you complete the other steps above.

The following forms are required for publication:

Master of Science: Option B

Your product will be published in the Montana Tech Library (Digital Commons). Submit final product converted to a PDF to for upload. No publication forms are required.

Master of Project Engineering and Management Degree:

Your presentation will be published in the Montana Tech Library (Digital Commons). Submit final presentation converted to a PDF to for upload. No publication forms are required.

Hard copy orders (optional; not applicable to non-thesis degrees):

The graduate school pays for one (1) library archival copy of the bound graduate product. One (1) copy for the department, as well as the one (1) copy for the student may be ordered additionally by completing the Thesis/Dissertation Copy Order FormStudents desiring additional copies of the graduate product can order copies directly from ProQuest with direct shipping to their desired address.

Graduation Deadlines ✓

Review graduate product deadlines and graduation deadlines here.

Required Graduation Paperwork ✓

Master of Science: Option A - Thesis/Publishable Paper

Pre-Required Paperwork:
Graduation Paperwork:

Master of Science: Option B - Product

Masters Industrial Hygiene Distance/Professional Track

Master of Project Engineering and Management

Master of Engineering


More Information

What health services are provided to graduate students? ✓

Are there emergency services available for housing, food, etc.? ✓

An emergency fund is available for financial emergencies in limited situations. This is limited to extreme circumstances and administered by the Vice Provost and Dean of Students.

Montana Tech Food Pantry is located in the SUB basement.

Policies: Students who cannot financially provide themselves with appropriate nutrition may utilize the Montana Tech Food Pantry. Students may take up to two packages of food per week. The student will record the number of packages taken and their student ID number before leaving the Food Pantry. The Montana Tech Food Pantry is managed by the ASMT Food Pantry Committee.

What tutoring services are available for graduate students? ✓

There are not typically tutoring services available for graduate classes. However, if refreshers are needed in undergraduate subjects that are often prerequisites for graduate students, students may contact the Academic Center for Excellence (ACE) for on- campus tutoring services. Montana Tech students also have access to 2 hours of online tutoring per month through

Where do I go if I’m struggling with my advisor? ✓

Professional relationships can be hard, and conflicts and disagreements can be a normal – yet unfortunate - part of any professional relationship. Many graduate student – advisor relationships can resemble those in the workplace, with a number of notable exceptions (e.g. a notable end point that ends in a degree!) Many of the graduate processes such as the Program form and committee form are designed to help establish clear expectations in the student-advisor relationship.

If you have made a fair effort to resolve a conflict, and you feel you need assistance in mediating an issue or even a sounding board, you may contact the . An additional resource for you is your thesis committee. These faculty, in agreeing to serve on your committee, have agreed to be your mentors and act as a resource. Use them for this as you feel comfortable.

What is the difference between a thesis committee and a program committee? ✓

The thesis committee is meant to serve as a board of experts to advise you in progress towards your thesis. In best cases, you should be able to derive slightly different skill sets from each, such that you have resources beyond a single individual with which to complete your degree.

For the interdisciplinary degrees offered at Montana, the Program Committee is the student’s surrogate department and will meet frequently with the student to assist in keeping the educational goals in order.

In both cases, the student must take responsibility for convening the committee. This committee is meant to be a resource for you, but only if you use it.

As a resource, it behooves you to form your committee as early as possible. Please inform the Graduate School of any changes in your committee or academic program using the forms found on the graduate school website.

What does it mean to be a GRA/GTA? ✓

Both GRAs and GTAs are employment contracts, i.e., payment (including tuition waiver) in exchange for assigned duties as tasks.

As employment, here are the formal definitions used by student employment:

Graduate Research Assistants (GRAs): (0.25 or 0.50 FTE; Stipend Grade I-III) This classification is reserved specifically for those Graduate Students who are funded on accounts allocated for research (e.g., external grants, contracts, internal accounts originating in return of indirect costs).

Graduate Teaching Assistants (GTAs): (0.25 or 0.50 FTE; Stipend Grade I only) A GTA assists with course duties and student instruction.

Examples of GTA duties include (but are not limited to) assistance with laboratory set up, leading organized student help sessions, assistance with development of student assessments, delivery of class lectures on an occasional (~monthly) basis, and grading. GTAs are allocated to the department, selection is made by the Department Head, and the award is made through the Graduate School.

The Graduate Student Handbook states additional rules on a number of credit hours and maximum hours per week. In brief, an important point is that the maximum number of credits that can be worked on a GRA/GTA per week is 20, if you are on a 50% appointment (this assumes a 40-hour work week). GRA/GTA appointments at 25% (10 hours/week) are also available. This condition (which is based on national guidelines) is in place to emphasize that these GRA/GTA positions are reserved for students, and your job is to be a student and make progress toward your degree.

Duties on a GRA appointment are set by the funded research grant or contract. It is important to realize that GRAs are employees on a contract to the University and are part of the task force in place to ensure the University completes the expectations of the sponsor that is providing the funding.

Lesser appointments receive a proportional stipend. The minimum GRA stipend level is equal to the GTA stipend. GRA stipends may be higher, depending on the responsibilities of the appointment, the level of the student, and the budget available in the funding source. (typically, a research grant).

I should only work 20 hours a week? ✓

(The answer below considers only the 20 hours/50% case. If you are a 10 hour/25% case, the answer still applies, just substitute 10 for 20 in the answer below.)

It should be clear that the 20-hour maximum (for a 50% appointment) is the condition of your GRA/GTA, not your condition of being a student. 20 hours per week should also be considered an ‘average’. You may have some hours you work more, some less. For example, you may find that as a GTA you will hold extra office hours the week before the exam or have extra grading duties the week after the exam. If you find that you are spending way more than 20 hours per week, please discuss with your advisor ways in which you may be more efficient. There may, for example, be things you are doing that are not expected by your supervisor.

It is not a condition of being a student that you only spend 20 hours per week on a GTA and 20 hours per week on classes. After you complete the hours required by your GRA/GTA, the additional time is yours as a student. For GRAs, in many cases (and if you are lucky!) the duties assigned to you as a GRA will directly overlap with work that will be included in your thesis. This is not always the case and is not the condition of having a GRA. As the GRA is made possible by a sponsored contract, it is the responsibility of your advisor to make sure the expectations of the sponsor are being satisfied. This is critical to make sure contractual obligations are met, and funding continues. (The latter will generally help to support additional students). As in the GTA example noted above, there may be some weeks as a GRA you work more than 20 hours and some you work less than 20; the average should be 20 hours per week. GRAs are meant to be professional positions – and are certainly preparation for such – and it is generally expected that you will work the hours needed to complete the task.

Any time you spend above/beyond your 20 hours (on average) is your time as a student. Think of this like studying for a test. In this analogy, the test is both the oral and written components of your thesis. No one is ever going to dictate to you how many hours to study for that test. That is yours alone to decide. However, in this case, the hours you spend studying for your test will determine whether you pass/fail, what you are able to get out of that examination. In this case, the “course” is self-paced, and the time you spend “studying” will ultimately determine the time in which you complete the course.

As noted above, GRA duties and what goes into your thesis are aligned in the best-case scenario, but this is not always the case. That being said, if you feel that your GRA/GTA duties are conflicting with your ability to complete your degree, you should first discuss this with your advisor, and as needed, with the Dean of the Graduate School. Your first and foremost responsibility as a GRA/GTA at Montana Tech is to make progress towards your degree, as a student.

I have a discontinuity in my planned fellowship/assistantship. What can I do? ✓

If you have an unforeseen discontinuity in funding, please contact your advisor, department chair, and/or the Dean of the Graduate School. When/if you must contact the Dean, she is likely to check your academic progress and discuss the issue with your advisor. The Chancellor’s Distinguished Fellowship was also founded with the intent to accommodate a limited number of cases in which there is a discontinuity in funding. As they are limited, prior to using a CDF, the Graduate Dean is likely to explore other GRA/GTA funding opportunities with your department or program chair.

My research project has just changed unexpectedly. What recourse do I have? ✓

Talk to your advisor and/or the Graduate School Dean about your concerns. After hearing your concerns, they can help you chart a path forward.

How do I change my committee? ✓

In situations where the Graduate Committee membership must change, due to changes in the thesis/dissertation, interests/goals of the student, the non-availability of members, or an irreconcilable difference, the appointment and approval of new committee requires the same form and the same approvals as the appointment of the original committee. Direct any questions about the Graduate Committee to your Advisor or to the Graduate School. You are encouraged to request and establish your Graduate Committee as early as possible, as this committee provides important advice and guidance and can help you complete your degree program efficiently (Graduate Student Handbook pg. 11). 

Are there resources available to present my work at a conference? ✓

Please contact your advisor or program chair about this opportunity, as well as his/her expectations for presenting work at a conference. Presenting your work at a conference can be an important aspect of professional development, but funding is often limited. Whereas funding for graduate student travel has been made available in the past, this is currently being handled by disbursement by the graduate school to program chairs, as it allows for a more thorough analysis of need/opportunity. Thus, in some cases, your graduate program chair may have funds available. Opportunities for funding from the graduate school for student travel will typically be announced to all students, with stated prioritization of how the funding will be distributed.

What are the publication expectations for my degree? ✓

The Graduate School requires all graduate student projects including non-thesis projects, reports, and publishable papers be submitted to the graduate school for publication in Montana Technological University’s Digital Commons as a part of graduation requirements. Handbook pg. 23 Your advisor may have additional expectations for publication in peer-reviewed journals or conference proceedings. You are strongly encouraged to discuss this issue with your advisor and include this in your degree plan.

How do I know when I am done with my research project? ✓

For specific timelines and steps, please reference the topic, “Finalizing your Required Graduate Product”, on the Graduate School Home Page , as well as the Published Timeline established by the Graduate Council.

As to when you are “ready to defend” or “ready to start writing” this is a conversation you should have with your advisor as you develop your degree plan. It is reasonable to discuss benchmarks and/or milestones that are expected to be completed before you defend or write. Expectations and benchmarks should be adjusted for whether you are completing an MS or Ph.D.

What if my research includes human subjects? ✓

Human subject research requires approval from the IRB. IRB approval is approved by the University of Montana in Missoula, Montana. 

Please contact your advisor or the Dean of the Graduate School for additional information.

What Graduate School Programs are offered at Montana Tech? ✓

Graduate School Programs offered at Montana Tech can be found here.

How do I know who my advisor is? ✓

You should be given the name of your advisor in your acceptance letter. Generally, this is based on matchmaking between advisor expertise and student interest during the admission process. Advisors often recruit students that are aligned with either their own professional interests and/or funded projects.

Quick Access
Graduation Deadlines

Graduation paperwork and graduate product deadlines can be found here.

Graduate School Forms

View all graduate school forms here.

Graduate School Student Handbook

View the Graduate School Student Handbook below.


A mandatory Orientation is held for new on-campus graduate students during the first week of the fall and spring semesters.

Meet Our Team

Meet the graduate school staff and discover how each of us can help throughout your journey.

Connect with us.

We can answer your questions and help you get started.

Graduate School Office
MUS 210 & MUS 211
(406) 496-4781


Graduate School Social Media

Click to view our Instagram page Click to view our Facebook page Click here to view our LinkedIn page