- No information about counseling is released to anyone without a student's written authorization. The Student Life Counseling Program makes no records of visits on academic transcripts or placement files. However, there are limits to confidentiality and they include the following:
- When there is the risk of imminent harm to themselves or another person, counselors have a legal and ethical duty to do whatever is necessary to protect life.
- When any individual has reason to believe that a child, mentally disabled, or elderly person is in danger of or is being physically, emotionally, or sexually abused, that individual is obligated by law to report such abuse to the proper authorities.
- For purposes of supervision and/or assistance, counselors may consult with other professional colleagues to ensure the best possible service is provided.
- If a lawsuit is filed, counseling records may be ordered by the court to be released.