Need help picking out the right Educational Benefits? This website will help you understand which Chapter best fits you. Best Educational Benefits For You.

Montgomery GI Bil®-Active Duty (Chapter 30):

This program pays a monthly benefit to eligible active-duty service members or veterans.

Persons on active duty must serve at least two years of continuous active duty before becoming eligible to receive benefits under MGIB-AD. If you are on active duty, consult with your Education Service Officer (ESO) before submitting an application for VA benefits. The ESO will discuss the various educational assistance opportunities available.

Vocational Rehab and Employment (Chapter 31):

This program pays tuition and fees, cost of required textbooks and supplies, a monthly stipend, and assistance with employment. You may be eligible for benefits under this chapter if you have a service-connected disability. You must meet with a vocational rehabilitation counselor who will determine your eligibility. For more information see

Effective August 1, 2011: If you are also eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill® (chapter 33), you may choose the Post-9/11 GI Bill monthly housing allowance instead of the Voc Rehab subsistence allowance.

Post 9/11-GI Bill® (Chapter 33):

This program pays a percentage of tuition and fees (see pay scale chart on next page), a monthly housing allowance if your rate of pursuit exceeds 50%, and a stipend for books and supplies. The $600 buy up payable under the Montgomery GI Bill® and REAP is not payable under the Post-9/11 GI Bill®.

You may be eligible for these benefits if you:

  • served at least 90 aggregate days on active duty after September 10, 2001, and
    • are still on active duty or
    • were honorably discharged from active duty; or
  • released from active duty and placed on the retired list or temporary disability retired list; or
  • released from active duty and transferred to the Fleet Reserve or Fleet Marine Corps Reserve; or
  • released from active duty for further service in a reserve component of the Armed Forces; or
  • were discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability and you served 30
    continuous days after September 10, 2001.

As the spouse or child of a service member on active duty and eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®, you may qualify for transfer of benefits. As a transferee, you qualify for the same percentage and benefits as the service member. The service member can check and follow the links to apply for transfer of benefits.

If you are the child of an active duty servicemember who died in the line of duty on or after 9/11/2001, you may be eligible for 36 months of entitlement under the 100% benefit level (the Fry Scholarship). See for further information.

Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (DEA or Chapter 35):

This program pays a monthly benefit based on enrollment status. These benefits are available to dependents of:

  • a veteran who either died or is permanently and totally disabled as a result of a service- connected disability arising out of active-duty service (or died from any cause while so disabled);
  • a service member missing in action or captured in line of duty; or forcibly detained or
    interned in line of duty by a foreign government or power;
  • a service member hospitalized or receiving outpatient treatment for a service-connected permanent and total disability and is likely to be discharged from service for that disability (effective December 2006).

For further information, see the pamphlet published by the VA at

Montgomery GI Bill®-Selective Reserve (Chapter 1606):

This is an educational program for active members of the Selected Reserve. Eligible recipients receive a monthly stipend based on enrollment status. Chapter 1606 eligibility is determined by the Department of Defense. Basic eligibility requires a six-year obligation to serve in the Selected Reserve and satisfactory participation in required Selected Reserve training.

For further information, see the pamphlet published by the VA at

Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP or Chapter 1607):

This educational benefit is for certain Reservists who were activated after September 11, 2001 Eligible recipients will receive a monthly stipend based on enrollment status and period of service. To be eligible, you must be a member of a reserve component and have performed active service for a minimum of 90 consecutive days. Additional benefits may be available under the Post-9/11 GI Bill®.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

Connect with us.

We can answer your questions and help you get started.