Direct Deposit

With the exception of DEA students, you may elect to set up direct deposit with the VA by submitting your financial institution’s routing number and your account number with the initial application for benefits. If you wish to establish direct deposit after submitting your application, you may do so by contacting the VA 1-877-838-2778 and providing the account and routing numbers from your financial institution.


An overpayment is an incorrect benefit payment that is more than the amount to which you are entitled. An overpayment is created when:

  • a course that does not count towards your stated degree program is certified and is   amended after the initial certification
  • you change registration from a grade to audit and the class no longer counts toward your degree program
  • you drop a class before completion, including during the add/drop period and after it was certified, or you drop a class from a past semester which was certified for VA education benefits
  • you withdraw from the University, including retroactive withdrawal, for a semester which was certified for VA education benefits

When any of these situations occur, the VA may make a retroactive adjustment to your award and you may be charged with a debt to the U.S. government.

What does the VA pay for?

The VA pays for classes leading to a specific degree. This includes classes in residence; approved study abroad courses; independent study; cooperative training.  Also any remedial, deficiency, and refresher training will be certified as long as pre requisites are clarified or they are required for the class for your degree program. The VA does not pay for classes you have taken before and successfully completed, or classes not required for your official degree plan.

 To ensure that classes count toward your degree, check with an academic adviser. Certification is based on periods of enrollment as stated in the academic calendar.

Per Chapter Payments MGIB-AD, DEA, MGIB-SR, and REAP

You will be paid a monthly stipend according to the pay rates published on the GI Bill® website based on your certification status reported to the VA. If you are less than half time, you will be reimbursed for tuition and required fees, not to exceed the published rate. If you are on active duty or terminal leave, you will be paid the veteran rate or a calculated rate that reimburses tuition and required fees, whichever is lower.

Post-9/11 (Chapter 33)

The University will receive tuition and mandatory fees. 

You will receive a monthly allowance for housing, and stipend for books and supplies. The rate paid is a percentage determined by length of active duty service. You will receive the monthly allowance for housing only if your rate of pursuit is more than 50%.

What if your money is late?

Your check may be late for any of the following reasons:

  • You did not complete a Request for Certification and submit to the SCO in Enrollment Services.
  • You have not verified your monthly attendance to the VA (MGIB-AD, MGIB-SR, or REAP). You may verify your enrollment by phone at 1-877-823-2378, or through the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) at
  • You have changed your enrollment status. Changes in enrollment status require additional processing time and may, therefore, result in a delayed payment.
  • The VA has incorrect address information. The quickest way to implement an address update with the VA is by calling 1-888-442-4551. You also need to  contact your SCO in MG 207 to update this information
  • Your file at the VA has a pending issue.
  • Your check is lost in the mail. If you have not received your check at the beginning of the month for the preceding month’s training, you should immediately contact the VA Regional Office at 1-888-442-4551.
  • The VA has an incorrect routing or account number.

When will you receive your money?

The VA processing time can vary. Check their website for time required to process. Payments are made at the beginning of each month for your training during the preceding month. Students receiving MGIB-AD, MGIB-SR, and REAP benefits must verify attendance before payment can be made.

For Post-9/11 GI Bill® recipients, checks received by MT Tech from the VA will be applied to tuition and required fees or any outstanding balance; the difference will be refunded to you.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

Connect with us.

We can answer your questions and help you get started.