Welcome to Veteran Services!

Service members should speak with their Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor within their Military Service Prior to enrolling.

The staff, administration and faculty of Montana Tech are here to assist you in your transition to civilian and campus life as you pursue your degree.

Active duty military personnel who are called to action while enrolled, should contact their SCO immediately for assistance.  Each instance will be managed on a case by case basis with the intent of ensuring the most beneficial outcome for the student.

Veteran Benefits

Are you new to using veteran's benefits? See the Applying for Veteran Benefits section below.

Are you a continuing student? Fill out the Request for Certification.

Student Life Services

Montana Tech Student Services offers many free or low-cost services, including Disability Services, the Health Center, Counseling and more. Visit Student Services to learn more.

Veteran Lounge

Both Highlands College and Montana Tech have Veteran Lounges available exclusively for veterans.

See Lounge Information.

  1. Your first step toward obtaining VA education benefits is to apply for them at: https://benefits.va.gov/gibill/apply.asp. In 2 – 4 weeks you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (CoE). A copy of this letter needs to be given to the school certifying official in SSC 3.126.
  2. Apply for admission to Montana Tech.
  3. Submit all Admissions paperwork that will be needed to complete your file.
  4. Montana Tech financial aid information.
  5. Submit all the necessary documents needed for your VA Certification to the SCO.
  6. Access and submit military transcripts. (see below)
  7. Finalize your Bill on Oredigger Web.
  8. Keep the SCO’s informed about any address, phone, email, enrollment or degree changes.

Credit may be granted for courses or training received while in the military based upon the American Council on Education’s “A Guide to the Evaluation of Education Experiences in the Armed Services.” Students should contact the Enrollment Services office for assistance regarding credit for military training.

The Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Support (DANTES) announced March 20, 2013 that the Navy, Marine Corp, Army, and Coast Guard are moving to one standard academic transcript to reflect military academic credit recommendations.

This collaborative transcript program called Joint Services Transcript (JST) will combine the current SMARTS, AARTS, and CGI offices into one uniformed JST office. By having one standardized transcript, your school should have an easier time determining the appropriate military credits that can transfer to your programs.

To send your transcripts to Montana Tech, please visit the Joint Services Transcript login.

You can find more information on the Joint Services Transcript website.

Although the University may not be able to transfer in your credits we do evaluate them on a case by case basis. You can order your military transcripts through the following links:

Send transcripts to:

Enrollment Services
1300 W. Park
Butte, MT 59701

Direct Deposit

With the exception of DEA students, you may elect to set up direct deposit with the VA by submitting your financial institution’s routing number and your account number with the initial application for benefits. If you wish to establish direct deposit after submitting your application, you may do so by contacting the VA 1-877-838-2778 and providing the account and routing numbers from your financial institution. Visit the "Your Money" page to learn more.

Veteran School Certifying Officials & Education Benefits Specialists

Student Disability Services

Veterans Taskforce

If you are interested in being a member of the Montana Tech Veterans Taskforce, please contact Enrollment Services at 406-496-4256 or veteran@mtech.edu.

Students wishing to use Tuition Assistance (TA) need to contact their military branch’s Educational Services Officer (ESO) for questions about how to qualify and how to sign up for TA. Students must receive approval from their ESO (or from an approved official from their branch of service) to use TA before Montana Tech will apply these funds to a student’s account.

Contact Information

Montana Tech Campus Point of Contact – Kramer Ungaretti, Montana Tech Business Office:

Education Officer at Ft. Harrison – Julie Benson:

Important Information

Learn about Debt Avoidance, Prior Credit, the No Payment Policy, and Advanced Payment Processing.


Learn general rules and information.


Learn about eligibility.


Paperwork is required to use Veteran Benefits.


Find out more about the Registration Certification process.

Certification Form

You will need to fill out this form to request Registration Certification.

Work Study

The VA work-study allowance is available to persons training under certain programs.

MUS Waivers, Scholarships

Scholarships are a form of financial aid and an excellent tool for paying some or all of your college costs. Scholarships can cover some or all of the cost of your education.

Additional Veteran Resources

Connect with veteran-focused resources, including financial aid, career services, mental health, and crisis negotiation.

School Certifying Officials

Your School Certifying Officials work in the Enrollment Services Office and report your registration to the VA.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.

Connect with us.

We can answer your questions and help you get started.