Transfer to Montana Tech
Montana Tech offers extremely competitive tuition rates and we proudly boast about our incredible career outcomes. In other words, the return on investment here is tough to beat!
While most transfer students live off-campus in Butte, you may choose to apply to our three on-campus residence halls or our near-campus apartment complex. We can also help connect you with local resources to find off-campus housing.
Have you already applied and been accepted? Congratulations! Learn more about what your next steps may be.
- Submit your completed Application for Admission.
- Send us all past and current unofficial transcripts. These will be used to make an admissions decision and develop a preliminary transcript evaluation if one has not already been done. Email to: email@example.com.
- Request to have your official transcripts sent to Montana Tech. A transcript will be considered official only if:
- All final grades are posted, i.e. no “in progress” courses; and
- It is emailed directly to Montana Tech from the transferring institution via a secure transcript delivery service; or
- It is stamped with the institution’s official seal and delivered to Montana Tech in a sealed envelope.
- High school transcripts and ACT/SAT scores are required if you graduated from high school within the past three years and are transferring with fewer than 30 college credits.
- Prior to enrollment in classes, you must submit proof of two MMR (Measles Mumps Rubella) vaccinations. Email records to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A placement exam may be required prior to enrollment if you have not completed a college-level math or writing class within the last two years.
We are happy to do a preliminary, unofficial transcript evaluation for prospective transfer students, even if you haven't yet applied for admission. Most unofficial evaluations are completed within 1-2 weeks depending on the current workload, as we do prioritize evaluations for students who have submitted all official records.
Please let us know if your request is urgent and we'll do our best to accommodate your needs.
We only need unofficial transcripts for a preliminary, unofficial evaluation. They should be sent to the admissions office:
Mail: 1300 W Park St, Butte, MT 59701
An official transcript evaluation will be provided once your application for admission is complete, you are admitted, and all official transcripts are received.
Official Transcripts must be sent directly by the awarding institution to the admissions office:
Mail: 1300 W Park St, Butte, MT 59701
- Only courses with a grade of “C-“ or better will be considered for transfer.
- Montana Tech adheres to the Montana University System (MUS) transfer credit policy, including common-course numbering, and ensures that equivalent courses taken at any MUS campus with the same title, number, and prefix will be accepted in transfer.
- Please note that the following credit limitations will apply toward graduation:
- Associate of Science Degree - At least 30 semester credits must be earned at Highlands College and you must be enrolled during the year in which the degree is awarded.
- Bachelor of Science Degree - At least 50% of your upper-division credits (300/400 level classes) must be completed through Montana Tech, including any Senior Design/Capstone coursework required for the degree.
A visit to Montana Tech's campus echoes our student experience - personal, relevant, and totally worth the effort. Tour our campus with a current student, meet with faculty in your area of interest, and even get an unofficial transcript evaluation.
Welcome to historic Butte, located in the heart of the Northern Rockies on the Continental Divide. Easy access to hiking, biking, climbing, camping, hunting, fishing, and epic downhill, back-country, and cross-country skiing is all around us.
Can't make it to campus for an in-person visit? Get a high-resolution bird's eye view of Montana Tech's campus, tour some residence hall rooms, see inside our high-tech labs, and more - all from the comfort of your sofa.
We're here to help. We will guide you on your campus visit, through the application process, right up until you take your first class.
Are you interested in being an Oredigger athlete? You will want to get in touch with the athletics department.
Montana Tech has articulation agreements in place with a number of institutions across Montana and Alberta.
Until you are an enrolled student at Montana Tech, your Personal URL (or PURL for short) will be your primary source to look into enrollment checklist items, complete required forms and applications, register for events, and access related resources.
If you don't have your PURL address, just visit http://iam.mtech.edu/ and type your email address into the email field. The system will then redirect you to your PURL. Make sure to bookmark it and remember your password!
Please send all transcripts to:
Address: Admissions, 1300 West Park Street, Butte, MT 59701
The Montana University System requires all students from the U.S. to submit proof of two measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) vaccinations (or proof of immunity, or religious/medical exemption). Records may be sent via email to email@example.com or via fax to 406-496-4707.
Please do not submit another application. Instead, please email the Admissions Office at firstname.lastname@example.org with whatever changes you would like to make.
The application deadline for fall-entry students is August 17 and for spring-entry students is December 30. While we strongly recommend that no one waits that long, transfer students should allow an additional two weeks for transcript evaluation processing.
Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at studentaid.gov. The FAFSA application opens in October and official award notifications will be sent in February to the email address you provided on the FAFSA application. Mt Tech’s FAFSA code is 002531.
The priority deadline is December 1, but if you miss it, just complete the FAFSA as soon as you can. The sooner you complete it, the better.
A limited number of scholarships are awarded to incoming transfer students based on merit and there is no need to complete a separate application.
Montana Tech also has a robust continuing student scholarship program that rewards academic performance.
There are numerous apartments and rental houses in the neighborhoods surrounding campus and in the greater community. However, the tight housing market that has impacted most of the country in recent years has also affected Butte, and it's become more difficult to find an affordable rental than it once was.
- Look early. If you plan to start school in mid-August, don't wait until August 1 to start looking!
- Look in-person if you can. Many rentals near campus are only advertised with a sign in the window.
- Get on the property managers' lists. Google "Butte Montana Property Management" and make some phone calls to let them know what you're looking for.
- Apply for on-campus housing as a backup. We have some great housing options on campus for mature students, and the $100 deposit is refundable until May 1 for fall-entry.
Registration for new fall students opens in April and continues throughout the summer. Instructions on how to connect with your academic advisor and get registered for classes will be posted on your PURL and sent to the email address provided on your application for admission.
Yes! You must finalize your enrollment! Log in to OrediggerWeb and pay/finalize your tuition and fees. This step must be completed to have scholarships and financial aid credited to your account.
Orientation is always held the week before classes begin, in January for spring-entry students and August for fall-entry students. All new students are required to attend Orientation. You’ll meet new friends and classmates, learn about the social and academic transition to Montana Tech, and explore all the services available to you on campus. Orientation information will be sent to the email address on your application for admission.
We'd love to answer your questions and help you get your transfer started.
Butte, MT 59701