To begin study in:
- Fall Semester: April 1
- Petroleum Engineering Fall Deadline: March 1
- Spring Semester: October 1 (including Petroleum Engineering)
Applications will be accepted after these deadlines. However, consideration for desired admission term cannot be guaranteed.
Application: Complete, sign and submit to Montana Tech's Graduate School Office with all required information. Please send all materials to:
A non-refundable check or money order payable to Montana Tech in the amount of $30.00 must accompany the application. Your application will be processed when the fee is received.
Official transcripts are required from all undergraduate and graduate schools attended. Contact the Registrar at previous schools and request official transcripts be forwarded directly to the Graduate School Office. At least one transcript must include evidence of receipt of Bachelor's degree. Transcripts marked "issued to student" are not acceptable. If your undergraduate education took place outside of the U.S., you are responsible for having your transcripts evaluated on a course-by-course basis by one of these organizations:
- Educational Credentials Evaluators, Inc (ECE - www.ece.org)
- World Education Services (WES - www.wes.org)
Letters of Reference
Three references are required for admission. Reference Forms must be sent to the Graduate School Office directly from the reference. If sent by applicant, place forms in a sealed envelope with the reference’s signature over the seal.
General Test Scores are required for the following programs:
- Environmental Engineering
- Industrial Hygiene Campus Program
- Metallurgical/Mineral Processing
- Technical Communications
- Geological Engineering
- Geophysical Engineering
- Hydrogeological Engineering
Instruct Educational Testing Service to submit official scores to the Graduate School Office. Montana Tech's School Code is 4487.
These programs have additional application requirements:
- Electrical Engineering administers its own exam on campus
- Industrial Hygiene Online requires at least 2 years of work experience
- Project Engineering & Management Online requires at least 2 years of work experience
- Technical Communication must submit the Technical Communication Supplement
- Petroleum Engineering applicants must provide at least two examples of technical writing. The documents must be in English and you must be the sole author. Each example can be for any technical subject, should be at least one page in length, and should be recent (written within the past 2 years).
Include a typewritten statement outlining academic and professional goals and how they relate to the chosen field of study.
If applying for Graduate Teaching Assistantship, tuition waiver, or Graduate Research Assistantship, submit Financial Award Application with the Admission Application. You may also refer to the Financial Awards page for more information.
An official record of immunization against Rubella and Measles (two doses of MMR) is required by Montana State Law before registration for all students born after December 31, 1956. This record must include dates of immunizations and physician’s or nurse’s signature or initials.
Please refer to the Montana Board of Regents Policy regarding Montana residency