checklist for international students

International Students

Application Checklist

All University students in the United States must submit specific information to the University that they plan on attending in order for their file to be marked "complete" and for an admission decision to be made. International students must supply the following information for their files. The first six (6) items should be completed with the highest priority.

1. Apply for Admission

Applications must be filled out completely. When you are applying, you will be asked a series of questions. You must answer all questions! If you have attended any other colleges or universities, you are an international transfer student. If you have only attended high school, then you are an international freshman.

Suggested deadlines for your application are:

  • Fall Semester (August) .......................... July 1
  • Spring Semester (January) .......... November 1
  • Summer Session (June) ..................... March 1

2. Submit Your Application Fee

We require a $30 application fee. You will need to pay the fee once you have applied, or your application will not be processed.

3. Provide a Statement of Financial Support

Please see the Financial Support Statement for information regarding this requirement.

4. Provide Your Official Transcripts

The Enrollment Services Office will determine academic eligibility, placement, and credit transfer. Whether you are coming as an international freshman or and international transfer student, you must show at least a 2.0 grade point average (C average) based on a 4.0 grading scale. We must have official, signed transcripts from your high school, technical schools, colleges and universities that you have attended. All official transcripts are required and must be in English.

If we are unable to determine your academic eligibility, we may require you to have an ECE evaluation performed on your transcript.

5. English Proficiency Reported

If you are planning on beginning your bachelor's degree immediately upon arrival, then you must submit one of the following:

  • Official TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score showing a minimum 525 paper-based, 195 computer-based, or 71 internet-based result. This test is widely available and you can find more information by writing Test of English as a Foreign Language, PO Box 899, Princeton, NJ 08540, USA. You may also visit their website
  • Official IELTS score report showing a minimum of a 6.0 result. Please obtain information for this test at
  • Other official English Language Proficiency Tests may be accepted, such as the Cambridge Test, and will be reviewed on a case by case basis.

Applicants who are citizens of countries other than Australia, Canada, England, Ireland, New Zealand, Scotland or Wales are not required to give us proof of English Skills. Citizens of all other countries must provide us with official English proficiency test results.

If you are applying for the English Language Institute (ELI) that is available for Montana Tech students through the University of Montana in Missoula, MT, you do not need to provide English Proficiency as you will get English training from the ELI program. For more information on this program, please refer to the English Proficiency page.

If you have attended school in the United States, you may not have to turn in English Proficiency Scores if:

  • You have graduated from an accredited high school in the U.S., you may satisfy the requirement by providing an official high school transcript along with two (2) letters of recommendation from high school faculty specifically regarding your English language capabilities.
  • Students transferring from one or more years of full-time enrollment at a United States college or university may satisfy the requirement by providing at least two (2) letters of recommendation from faculty members regarding proficiency in English along with your transcripts.

6. Copy of Your Passport

In all correspondence with Montana Tech, you must use the exact spelling of your name that is on your passport. When we issue you a Form I 20, we consult your passport spelling. If the name on your passport and your I 20 document do not match perfectly, your I 20 will not be accepted at your Visa appointment!

7. Immunization/ Health Records

Please provide a physician-validated record showing the dates of immunization for diphtheria, tetanus, polio, measles (two doses of the measles vaccine administered after your first birthday), and a recent (within the last year) skin test for tuberculosis. This record must be signed by a physician or registered nurse.

8. Medical Health Insurance

Proof of medical health insurance is required for all students. Coverage is not required for dependents, but is recommended. Students without such insurance or with inadequate coverage are required to obtain medical health coverage through a campus-approved policy. Students are automatically enrolled in the campus insurance plan and the coverage is added to your tuitions. It is important to understand that health care in the United States is largely a private (non-governmental) function. There are charges to the student for many medical services. These may range from a few dollars for a very simple procedure to thousands of dollars for extended hospitalization or major operations.

9. Most International Students Will be Required to Take the Compass Test Upon Arrival

You may choose to take the ACT test or SAT test in your country to avoid the Compass Test. However, if you choose not to do either the SAT or ACT, the compass test is a math and English placement exam that you will be required to take on campus before you can be registered in any courses.

Scholarships & Housing

Do not forget to apply for scholarships and apply for campus housing!