COVID-19 Information
Frequently Asked Questions

Financial Aid

Student Employment

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Students awarded work-study have satisfied requirements through their FAFSA filing that make them eligible for either Federal or State work-study. This gives students the opportunity to earn money that can be put toward their living expenses or their tuition that is actually paid out of either Federal or State funds. One of the benefits of any money earned through work-study is that it is not considered as an income resource on the next year's FAFSA.
You will receive notice and should go to Orediggerweb to view your Financial Aid Award which will include whether you have been awarded Federal or State work-study. SWS is only awarded to Montana State residents. If you have any questions about your eligibility, please contact the Financial Aid Office at 406-496-4223.
Yes, any enrolled Montana Tech student is eligible to apply for institutional jobs on campus. Institutional jobs are paid for by the department's budget. You may contact various departments to determine if such employment exists.
Students should start looking for a job as close to the start of the semester as possible. You can either come into Career Services or you can view jobs posted online to DIGGERecruiting.
For on-campus jobs, once you have found a position you'd like to apply for, contact the hiring supervisor and let them know if you are eligible for FWS or are looking for an institutional job. The hiring supervisor will then let you know what the interviewing and hiring procedures are. Jobs posted to DIGGERecruiting detail what the interviewing and hiring procedures are, but you may contact the supervisor if you have any questions. It is advisable to have a resume ready.
DIGGERecruiting assists with your career preparation and job/internship search. This allows you to easily create and manage your account online and submit your resume electronically to our office. As a Montana Tech student, you are also able to view and sign-up for on-campus interviews, check out career events as well as search for jobs and internships posted with Career Services by employers from across the nation. You will see which departments have positions available and whom to contact.

If you are offered an on-campus position, your first stop is Enrollment Services to process your mandatory hiring paperwork. This paperwork must be done before your first day of work. You will be required to complete a Student Employment Certification form as well as an I-9 Form and, depending on your situation, a Student Employment packet before you begin working.

Please bring your original documents to Enrollment Services.

On-campus students can work up to 20 hours a week while school is in session and up to 40 hours a week during holidays or summer. Most students work an average of 10-15 hours a week while taking classes.
Nothing happens other than a resource to earn money for tuition or expenses was not taken advantage of. Please notify Financial Aid and Student Employment if you choose not to use your award.

Students are paid on the first day of each month. Students that do not have direct deposit can pick up paychecks with a photo ID at the Business Office, MG 205.

If the first is on a Sunday or holiday, checks will be available the following business day. If the first is on a Saturday, checks will normally be available on Friday.