U.S. Requirements

Graduate School Admissions

U.S. Requirements

(This application is for Master’s applicants only. First time college students should use the Undergraduate Admissions page.)



Students may apply online or fill out a paper application. Complete, sign and submit paper application to Montana Tech's Graduate School Office with all required information.

Please send all materials to:

Montana Tech
Graduate School
1300 West Park Street Box 20
Butte, MT 59701

Priority Deadlines

Please see the deadlines on the main Grad School Admissions Page here.

Applications will be accepted after these deadlines. However, consideration for desired admission term cannot be guaranteed.

Application Fee
A non-refundable check or money order payable to Montana Tech in the amount of $50.00 must accompany the application.  Your application will be processed when the fee is received.


Official transcripts are required from all undergraduate and graduate schools attended. Contact the Registrar at previous schools and request official transcripts be forwarded directly to the Graduate School Office. At least one transcript must include evidence of receipt of Bachelor's degree. Transcripts marked "issued to student" are not acceptable.  If your undergraduate education took place outside of the U.S., you are responsible for having your transcripts evaluated on a course-by-course basis by one of these organizations:

An undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or above is required for full admission. For provisional admission status, an undergraduate GPA between 2.7 and 3.0 is required. For provisional probationary status, an undergraduate GPA between 2.5 and 2.7 is required. For students who have completed graduate work or post-baccalaureate study with a GPA above 3.0, exceptions can be considered.

Personal/Professional Statement

Include a typewritten statement outlining academic and professional goals and how they relate to the chosen field of study.

Letters of Reference

Three references are required for admission. Reference Forms must be sent to the Graduate School Office directly from the reference. If sent by applicant, place forms in a sealed envelope with the reference’s signature over the seal.

Graduate Record Examination (GRE)

General Test Scores are required for the following programs:

  • Earth Science and Engineering PhD
  • Ecological Restoration PhD
  • Electrical Engineering
  • Environmental Engineering
  • General Engineering (Waived if passing grade achieved on FE exam)
  • Industrial Hygiene Campus Program
  • Metallurgical/Mineral Processing
  • Technical Communications
  • Geoscience
  • Geochemistry
  • Geology
  • Geological Engineering
  • Geophysical Engineering
  • Health Care Informatics
  • Hydrogeology
  • Hydrogeological Engineering
  • Materials Science PhD
  • Petroleum Engineering

Instruct Educational Testing Service to submit official scores to the Graduate School Office. Montana Tech's School Code is 4487.

Additional Program-Specific Requirements

These programs have additional application requirements:

  • Industrial Hygiene Professional Track requires at least two years of work experience and a resumé.
  • Project Engineering & Management requires at least two years of work experience and a resumé.
  • Interdisciplinary Master of Science requirements.
  • Technical Communication must submit the Technical Communication Supplement
  • Petroleum Engineering applicants must provide at least two examples of technical writing. The documents must be in English and you must be the sole author. Each example can be for any technical subject, should be at least one page in length, and should be recent (written within the past 2 years).

Financial Assistance

If applying for Graduate Teaching Assistantship, tuition waiver, or Graduate Research Assistantship, submit Financial Award Application with the Admission Application. You may also refer to the Financial Awards page for more information. 

Montana Residency

Please refer to the Montana Board of Regents Policy regarding Montana residency

Immunization Records

An official record of immunization against Rubella and Measles (two doses of MMR) is required by Montana State Law before registration for all students born after December 31, 1956. This record must include dates of immunizations and physician’s or nurse’s signature or initials.