There are numerous tests to choose from for prospective students to take to qualify.

Montana Tech international undergraduates have to prove proficiency in English. 

Citizens of countries other than Australia, Canada, England, Ireland, New Zealand, Scotland, and Wales are required to show proof of English proficiency through one of the methods below.

Proficiency in English for study at the undergraduate level must be demonstrated by one of the following:
English Language Test Score Requirement
TOEFL iBT and At-Home Edition 70 or higher including MyBest™ scores
TOEFL PBT 525 or higher
IELTS Academic 6.0 or higher
Cambridge English 180
Duolingo English Test (DET) 100
iTEP 3.8
PTE Academics 48
MELAB 74 or higher
SAT - Writing and Language 25
ACT - Writing 07
ACT - ELA (English Language Assessment) 18
EIKEN Grade Pre-1
UM English Language Institute 525 TOEFL ITP or a recommendation from UM English Language Institute
ELS Language Center Successful Completion of Program Level 112
Kaplan International Successful Completion of Higher Intermediate Level
English Language Centres Successful Completion of Level 11
Education First (EF) Successful Completion of C1-1
General Certificate of Education, Ordinary Level (GCE-O) - United Kingdom Certification of grade “C” or higher on the English Language section
Cambridge IGCSE Five passes of grade C and above.
Students who have graduated from an accredited high school in the U.S. may satisfy the Proof of English Language Proficiency requirement by providing an official high school transcript along with two letters of recommendation from high school faculty/administrators regarding proficiency in English language skills.
Students transferring to Montana Tech after one (or more) year of full-time enrollment at a college/university in the United States may satisfy this requirement if they have successfully completed at least 24 semester credits and have also passed with a grade of “C” or better, an English Composition course determined to be equivalent to Montana Tech’s Writing 101 College Writing course.
More Resources
International Admissions

Learn more about international undergraduate admissions. International students have additional requirements to be admitted and obtain a visa.

Virtual Tour!

Gas and plane tickets are expensive. If you want to explore our labs, classrooms, dining and housing, without coming to campus, we've got you covered.

Admissions Team

We're here to help. We will guide you on your campus visit, through the application process, right up until you take your first class.

AP/CLEP/IB credit

Are you curious how your AP/CLEP/IB Credit might transfer? We perform transfer credit evaluations by request, but we also have a list available.

Admitted International Students

We've compiled a guide that will help you get started.

Connect with us.

We can answer your questions and help you get started.

1300 West Park Street
Butte, MT 59701
(406) 496-4791