Financial Aid Forms & Directions
The Department of Education or Montana Tech may select your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for a process called verification. If you are selected for verification, Montana Tech must review certain information for accuracy and completeness. If selected, you will be notified by e-mail and regular mail with the required documentation. Below, you can find the verification worksheets and directions for obtaining IRS tax information.
If your FAFSA was submitted using estimated tax information, please review the directions for using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to update your FAFSA.
IRS Data Retrieval Tool
You can use the Data Retrival Tool to obtain the IRS tax information you need to update your FAFSA.
Submitting your FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool allows you to transfer information directly from the IRS to your FAFSA. Read these instructions on using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool through FAFSA, or watch this video to learn more about how to use this tool.
There are a few scenarios in which students and parents are ineligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, such as:
- The student/parent is married, and either the student/parent or his/her spouse filed as Married Filing Separately.
- The student/parent is married, and either the student/parent or his/her spouse filed as Head of Household.
- The parents’ marital status is “Unmarried and both parents living together.”
- The student/parent filed a Form 1040X amended tax return. Remember, the Form 1040X is used to correct your original tax return.
- The student/parent filed a Puerto Rican or foreign tax return.
Any students or parents who meet the above criteria will need to enter their tax return information manually and will need to request an IRS Tax Transcript, if selected for verification.
Students or parents who filed their tax returns electronically within the last three weeks, or through the mail within the last 11 weeks, might need to enter their tax return information manually as their tax return information might not be available for transfer from the IRS. If the file is selected for verification, either the IRS Data Retrieval Tool will need to be used to transfer the tax return information or an IRS Tax Transcript will need to be request.
If you are unable to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, you must submit a Tax Transcript from the IRS to our office. Most requests are processed within 10 days. Requesting a Tax Transcript is free of charge.
Dependent vs. Independent Students
DEPENDENT: If you are considered a dependent student by Federal Regulations and have been selected for a process called verification, you must complete the Dependent Verification Worksheet and either do the IRS Data Retrieval update or request a Tax Transcript directly from the IRS for both student and parent.
INDEPENDENT: If you are considered an independent student by Federal Regulations and have been selected for a process called verification, you must complete the Independent Verification Worksheet and either do the IRS Data Retrieval update or request a Tax Transcript directly from the IRS.
Child Support Paid Verification Form - only needed in 2016-2017 and for specific verification needs
- V6 Verification Worksheet - If you are selected for V6 Verification, this worksheet is needed in addition to the regular worksheet and is only used in 2016-2017.
- Instructions for Requesting a W-2
- Instructions for Requesting Verification of Non-filing for Tax Purposes
- Montana University System Indian Fee Waiver Application - Please complete this form for the Montana Indian Student Tuition Waiver.
- Scholarship Appeal - Use this form to appeal the termination of a cash renewable scholarship. All other appeals should be completed according to the directions in the termination notificaiton.
The following form must be completed if you wish to appeal your financial aid suspension.