How to Install Read and Write 11
What you need:
*You must have a version of Adobe Acrobat reader installed on your computer. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer, you can download the current version of Adobe Acrobat Reader at http://get.adobe.com/reader/
*You must have Microsoft .NET Framework 4 installed on your computer. If you do not have Microsoft .NET Framework 4 installed on your computer, you can download it at http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17851
Read/Write Gold supports struggling readers and writers, those with literacy difficulties (including dyslexia) and English language learners, through a host of reading, writing, and study/research features. Read/Write Gold is supported on Windows, Mac, and iOS platforms and is used globally in education, the workplace, and at home. Read/Write Gold is a floating toolbar allowing users to access Read/Write Gold features from within other programs such as Word, web browsers or PDF readers. Read/Write Gold provides the following benefits:
- Text reading in quality computerized voices.
- On Screen Text to Speech Conversion (OCR) of text located in image files.
- Editing tools such as a spell checker, word predictor, dictionary, word wizard thesaurus, and 'a sounds alike' tool that helps users determine if they've chosen the correct homophones in their writing.
- An MP3 converter to convert text into files for later playback in an MP3 player.
- Translation tools for ESL Students.
- A pronunciation tutor, fact-finding tool, fact mapping graphic organizer tool.
- A voice dictation tool for writing assistance.
- Research Assistant - The Research Assistant helps collect web-referenced quotations and creates bibliography entries from dozens of source types including electronic/webpage, articles, books, etc. The Read/Write Gold Research Assistant offers MLA, APA, and Harvard Bibliography/Works Cited formats.
1) To make sure you have what you need, check to see if you have these two programs installed on your computer*.
a) Adobe Acrobat Reader
b) Microsoft .NET Framework 4
2) Navigate to mymtech.mtech.edu
a) Access the MyMtech webpage provided on the Montana Tech home page located in the top right hand corner.
b) Sign In to your account using your MyMtech login located in the top right hand corner.
3) Once you are signed in, select the tab labeled “Read Write Gold” This will take you to a second tab.
a) Select the “RWG PC Setup Files” link to start downloading the necessary files.
i) Download both the Setup.exe file and the Setup.ini file to your computer. Save them to a location that will be easily accessible.
ii) Browse to the location where you saved the Setup.exe and Setup.ini files. Double-click the Setup.exe file and click “Run” if you are prompted.
iii) The Read and Write 11 software installation wizard will begin. The installation time will vary depending on your computer.
4) Once the software installation is finished, an icon for the Read and Write 11 software will be created on your desktop as well as a Start Menu program called Texthelp. The Texthelp folder contains a shortcut to the Read and Write 11 software.
i) Launch the Read and Write 11 software by double-clicking the program icon created on your desktop or by choosing the Read&Write 11 program shortcut in the Start Menu under the Texthelp folder. You will be asked to activate the software before you begin using it. Click the “Activate” button to begin the Read and Write Set Up Wizard.
ii) The Read and Write Set Up Wizard will begin allowing you to customize the software setup to your tastes. On the first screen of the Set Up Wizard, click “Next” to proceed. If you wish to use the default settings for Read and Write 11, click the “Cancel” button. You can always change the settings later from within the program.
iii) The appearance of the Read and Write 11 toolbar is the first customization option you are presented with. Click the different radio buttons and see how the appearance of the toolbar changes with each option. Once you have chosen the desired appearance, click “Next” to proceed.
iv) You will now choose which buttons on the toolbar are visible. Click the different radio buttons and see how the features included on the toolbar change with each option. Once you have chosen the desired appearance, click “Next” to proceed.
v) You will now choose how the built-in dictionary with Read and Write 11 functions. Click the different radio buttons and see how the detail of the definition changes with each option. Once you have chosen the desired appearance, click “Next” to proceed.
vi) You will now choose how the built-in speech feature of Read and Write 11 works. You can choose between a female or male voice and the speed at which the voice reads a word or sentence. You can also choose to have every word spoken as you type it. Click the different radio buttons to switch between female and male voices. Slide the bar to adjust the speed of the voice. Click the “Speak” button to listen to the changes you have selected and listen to how they change with each option. Once you have chosen the desired speech settings, click “Next” to proceed.
b) Finally, you will chose a default search engine that will be used by the Fact Finder feature included in Read and Write 11. You can choose between different search engines by clicking the drop-down arrow and selecting from the list. Once you have chosen the desired default search engine, click the “Finish” button to begin using Read and Write 11.
5) The Read and Write toolbar will now launch and you can begin using the program.
Campus Technology Services:
Need more help? Contact the Campus Technology Services Help Desk at 406.496.4244 or by email at .