The fraudulent practice of sending e-mails purporting to be from legitimate companies in order to induce individuals to reveal personal information or otherwise compromise their accounts or computers.
How to Protect Yourself:
- Forward any suspicious emails to the CTS helpdesk for review.
- Keep your anti-virus software up-to-date and enabled
- Be suspicious of email messages from sources (people) that you do not know or recognize.
- NEVER respond to any email message asking you to click a web link to raise your email quota(our email system will NEVER send you a request asking you to do that).
- NEVER respond (reply) to any email message with confidential information (Social Security number, Credit Card numbers, account Passwords)
- If you accidentally responded to a phishing message, please contact the Campus Technology Services Help Desk for additional advice.
If you get a message like any of the examples below, please do not respond.
If you have signed up for alerts like this one make sure you know the sender. Probably not from - [mailto:COMMUNITYALERTMSG@updated-renewalinfo.link]
To view this information from a trustworthy source, please go to https://app.doj.mt.gov/
Campus Technology Services:
Need more help? If you still have problems, contact the CTS Help Desk.
- No matter how real it looks - IT'S NOT REAL !!!
- Don't ever respond (REPLY) to these messages!
- Never click on any embedded web links or open any attachments associated with phishing messages!
- Don’t be fooled by official looking 'form letter' phishing 'notification' messages (see examples below)
If You Become a Victim:
If you suspect that you may have exposed your personal information to an unauthorized individual, you should:
- Immediately change passwords for ALL compromised accounts (School, Work, Personal), using a different (non-infected) computer.
- If using a Home or Office machine, have that machine scanned for possible Malware-infection.
- If you have given out Credit or Bank Card information, immediately notify (contact) your Bank or Credit Card company and report this disclosure.
- Contact the CTS Help Desk (496-4244) for further advice.