March 1, 2014
Funding your education is a major financial commitment for you as a student and perhaps for your family as well. To help make your education more affordable, Montana Tech offers both state and federal financial assistance to qualifying students through grants, loans, and student employment opportunities. To apply for financial aid, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.ed.gov by March 1st of each year.*
Items you and your parents will need to complete the application
- Montana Tech's school code – 002531
- FAFSA PIN numbers – available at www.pin.ed.gov
- Social Security Numbers
- 2013 Federal Tax Returns**
- 2013 W2 Forms, tribal income, child support, and SSI/ SNAP/ TANF/ WIC benefits
- Additional asset information (money market funds, stocks, other investments, current cash, savings, checking account balance)
* We will continue to accept FAFSA’s after the March 1st deadline; however, the amount of aid available will continually decrease as time passes. We encourage all students to apply early!
** Parents and students alike should use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool within the FAFSA to transfer the information from their tax returns directly to the application. This will save you time and eliminate the possibility of any errors on your application. If you have yet to file your 2013 Tax Returns, you may estimate using your 2012 Tax Returns.
Some students may be selected to participate in a verification process. If you are chosen to participate, we will notify you via email or postal mail to inform you of the additional materials needed to complete the verification process. Submission of these materials will be required in order to complete your financial aid offer and should be submitted in a timely manner.
Award notifications will be sent out via email in late March or early April. To accept or decline any part of your award, follow these steps:
- Login to OrediggerWeb
- Choose Student & Financial
- Choose Financial Aid
- Choose My Award Information
- Choose Award By Aid Year
- Select the Aid Year and click the Submit button
- Review each tab (in order) and follow the directions provided
- Complete On-Line Loan Counseling*
- Sign your Master Promissory Note*
* Once you have accepted your award through OrediggerWeb, this requirement will appear below your award information on the final tab. Follow the link to complete the requirement or visit www.studentloans.gov.
Keep Your Information Current
If we offer you financial aid, but can't reach you, you may lose your opportunity to accept your award. Be sure to notify Enrollment Services at 406-496-4256 of any changes to your email address, mailing address, or telephone number.
Student Assistance Foundation
Student Assistance Foundation (SAF) is a Montana based non-profit that provides students with the knowledge and tools to fund and pursue post-secondary education. Contact SAF for help managing your student loans, understanding financial aid, budgeting, debt management, scholarship searches and tips, college planning and much more-- all free and confidential.