The Compass Test is a placement tool that is used to place students in the appropriate math and writing classes.
Who needs to take the Compass Test?
- Non-traditional Freshmen
- Transfer students - the test may be waived if you've taken college level math (within the last two years) and writing and achieved a grade of C or better.
- College of Technology freshmen - ACT or SAT scores may be used in lieu of the compass test if you've received a minimum of 18 in math and English on the ACT, or a minimum score of 440 in math and English on the SAT.
To register for a COMPASS Test, click here: http://www.mtech.edu/cts/compass/ or call 406-496-3745 or 406-496-4418.
There is a $25 fee for the Compass Test which is payable in advance at the North Campus Business Office. The Business Office hours are 8:30 AM to 3 PM, Monday through Friday and they can be reached at (406)496-4250. You must bring your paid receipt the day of the test.
The Compass Test is administered at the College of Technology located at 25 Basin Creek Road or at Engineering Hall on Montana Tech's Main Campus.
Study Resources/Practice Tests
Montana Career Information System
- Go to www.mtcis.intocareers.org
- Click on college
- Type in this username: TechCOT
- Type in this password: plan7ing
- Click “My Portfolio” on the upper right hand side
- Create “My Portfolio”--Creating your own portfolio allows you to keep track of your progress
- After you are done creating your portfolio you will instantly go to the home page
- Click on “Go to my portfolio” on the upper right hand side
- Click on Academic Practice Tests. Use the ACT practice tests to study for the COMPASS test.
- Go to www.act.org/compass
- Select “for students”
- Click “sample test questions” located on left side of screen
Note that “more practice” on bottom of page can be printed and an answer key is included.